Contact Me!

Have a book I should read? Have a comment on a review? Have an idea? Contact me @ kdeestone20@gmail.com

Friday, January 31, 2014

Review for Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

                                   **warning! small spoilers ahead!**

This book just grabbed me by the heart and did not let go. For some reason, I never read the synopsis. I just grabbed it, and expected it to be something mythical. The cover, the name, they scream at me "I am full of something mythical, magical, something that will lift your spirits", and they pull me in. But it is anything but mythical and magical.

The story of wintergirls is the story of one girl. Her name is Lia, and she is struggling. She is not struggling with learning that she is a faerie, or finding what dress to wear to prom. She is struggling with her best friend's death, and the oncoming of her own demise.

Lia is anorexic. That is a word no on can ever fully understand. Why would someone choose to be anorexic? What made them that way? This book helps me understand it a little better.

The story starts with Lia learning that her friend, Cassie, has died. Her friend was bulimic, which means she would eat a lot, then throw it all up. During the course of the book, you learn that was what had caused her death in the end.

Lia is haunted by her friends spirit, and her own demons. The demons that call her fat, ugly, stupid. The demons that haunt her for not picking up the phone when Cassie called her 33 times. The demons that count the calories in her food and make her add weights to her robe to trick her step mother into believing she was heavier than she was. The demons that said "you should weigh 90, now 80, now 70".

The story really hit me hard. I have never struggled with this type of disorder, but I know someone who has it. It is a struggle, and its an uphill battle. The last paragraph of the book just hit me in the heart. It says:

"There is no magic cure, no making it all go away forever. There are only small steps upward; an easier day, an unexpected laugh, a mirror that doesn't matter any more. I am thawing."

That paragraph gives me the chills. The book is written in such a beautiful way, it keeps it from becoming disgusting. I love the authors way of writing about a big topic, and it makes it enjoyable. I absolutely loved this book!

Five books

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is your favorite of My Favorite Stand-Alones?