Contact Me!

Have a book I should read? Have a comment on a review? Have an idea? Contact me @ kdeestone20@gmail.com

Monday, March 24, 2014

Review for Divergent by Veronica Roth

Since Divergent came into theaters this week (and I have yet to see it) I decided to re-read the Divergent series in its honor. And, of course, so I can review it for all of you!

Synopsis-"In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help her save the ones she loves . . . or it might destroy her."





Divergent is a book about Beatrice Prior, who has to make a tough decision. When you turn 16 in futuristic Chicago, you must choose a faction to live in for the rest of your life. To help you make that choice, you go through an aptitude test and it slims down your choice until you belong to one faction. But what if it didn't help you make a choice?

Beatrice Prior gets inconclusive results. She is Divergent. Her brain thinks in more than one way. She's not just brave or selfless or smart. She's all three. Being Divergent can get her killed.

Her family lives in the Abnegation factor, which is selflessness. She knows she doesn't belong there. She's too curious and too selfish to belong. Her brother, however, isn't. The Abnegation's biggest enemy is the Erudite, who are the intelligent. They release reports about the members of the Abnegation factor that aren't true. Or are they?

On the choosing ceremony, Beatrice's brother goes before her. Instead of choosing Abnegation, he switches factions to Erudite. Beatrice knows she must stay for her family, but at the last second chooses Dauntless, the brave. Her parents are now alone.

 The book Divergent is a story about Beatrice, or Tris as she calls herself in Dauntless, trying to find where she belongs. She falls in love in Dauntless, and she finds herself. Until the war on Abnegation breaks out and she has to stop it.

This book is filled with love, loss, action, and adventure. It is the story of one girl who is on a journey to find herself. And I absolutely LOVE this book.

I have read this book twice now, and I can say I love it better the second time. I love the characters. Lets start there.

Tris- She is strong, and funny, and is everything she doesn't want to be. She doesn't believe she is selfless, but it shines through when she is brave. She is one of the strongest characters I have read, and that goes with Katniss.

Four- HE IS HOT. He is. He is also funny, and strong, and weak. He doesn't want to be weak, but he is. Especially when he is with Tris.

Christina- She was my least favorite in the book. She was supposed to be Tris's friend, but it just didn't seem like that.

Will- I loved Will. Even though he was an Erudite transfer, he still fit with Dauntless. He was funny.

Al- Even after what Al did (read the book to find out!), I still loved him. He was like the jolly giant, because he always made me smile in all of the scenes he was in. Even if suicide isn't brave, he was brave.

Peter, Molly, Drew, Eric- They were all the antagonists in the main parts of the book. Even though they were bad guys, they were well rounded characters. I loved how the characters shone through.

Beatrice's mom and dad- They were stronger than I thought. They were stronger than Beatrice thought. They were a surprise to read about, and they reminded me of my parents.

I loved the idea of this world. This idea was amazing. It's something that I would live in. If I was in a faction, I think I would be in either Erudite or Amity. I love learning and reading, but I believe happiness can help anyone. I guess I am Divergent. Just don't tell anyone.

Veronica Roth is a brilliant author. I would love to read more books by her. The next one I'll review will be Insurgent by Veronica Roth. Stay tuned!

I give Divergent by Veronica Roth 5 books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is your favorite of My Favorite Stand-Alones?