Contact Me!

Have a book I should read? Have a comment on a review? Have an idea? Contact me @ kdeestone20@gmail.com

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Review for Legend by Marie Lu

Legend is one of the books from my A-Z book challenge for the year.

Synopsis-"What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets."



I was a bit reluctant to read this book, since it is one of those books that receives a lot of hype. Legend by Marie Lu one of those books that I HATED when I had to put it down, for any reason. I didn't want to stop until I reached the end, and there were many points why.

1. It has a lot of twists and turns. You think you understand the story, then a new twist gets thrown in your face.
2. The characters are relatable. You have June, which is a girl who has everything. She's smart, rich, and the prodigy since she is the only one to get a perfect score on the trial. Then you have Day, who I related with from the first page. He is with Tess, and they are both homeless. Day is this esteemed criminal, who everyone is after.
3. The story is amazing. The world is amazing. Everything about this book was amazing. I loved the entire thing.

I loved Day. Daniel. Whatever you want to call him. He is on the top of my book crushes. This book has swoon worthy points, and everything made sense. You don't get too many books that just make sense, and I am excited to read Prodigy.

The story seemed new, even though it may have been done before. You have a dystopian society where, at the age of ten, everyone is expected to take the trial. It is a physical and mental test to determine your future. If you rate really high, you get your choice of college. If you rate good, you get a college chosen for you. If you rate ok, you get put into a type of labor work after high school. If you fail, however, you get thrown into a labor camp, or so it seems. But the truth is, if you fail you die. Day failed, but he is alive. 

The whole theme was great, even though it may seem a bit confusing until a way's into the book.  I read Legend by Marie Lu in one sitting, which was today. Once I started, the story just pulled me in. I would definitely read it again. Soon!

5 books                              

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is your favorite of My Favorite Stand-Alones?