Contact Me!

Have a book I should read? Have a comment on a review? Have an idea? Contact me @ kdeestone20@gmail.com

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Review for Zombies vs. Unicorns

Zombies vs. Unicorns...where do I start with thee?

Synopsis- It's a question as old as time itself: which is better, the zombie or the unicorn? In this anthology, edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier (unicorn and zombie, respectively), strong arguments are made for both sides in the form of short stories. Half of the stories portray the strengths--for good and evil--of unicorns and half show the good (and really, really bad-ass) side of zombies. Contributors include many bestselling teen authors, including Cassandra Clare, Libba Bray, Maureen Johnson, Meg Cabot, Scott Westerfeld, and Margo Lanagan. This anthology will have everyone asking: Team Zombie or Team Unicorn

This book is an anthology, which is a new type of book to me. An anthology is a book that contains multiple stories from multiple authors. Zombies vs. Unicorns is divided up into stories which have a subject about either a zombie or a unicorn, and the whole point of the book is to try and get the reader to take a specific side.

I tried to read this book in one sitting, and I couldn't. I realize that this book is meant to read and enjoy on different times. You pick it up, read a story, put it down. It's like a bed time story.

Each author in this book takes a specific side: unicorn or zombie.

Team zombie consist of - Justine Larbalestier as the editor, Libba Bray, Alaya Dawn Johnson, Cassandra Clare, Maureen Johnson, Scott Westerfeld, and Carrie Ryan. Each of these authors has a specific zombie story, and a different take on them.

Team unicorn consist of - Holly Black as the editor, Kathleen Duey, Meg Cabot, Garth Nix, Margo Lanagan, Naomi Novik, and Diana Peterfreund. These authors also have their own takes on the unicorn.

So now I need to take sides...right? Right.

While I only read about two stories for each side, I think I can safely take sides right now. After I describe all of the stories I read.

The first story is by Garth Nix, and it is called "The Highest Justice". This story is about a young woman who is carrying her zombie mother on the back of a horse, and there is a unicorn keeping them safe. The unicorn makes people face justice, and it has an ending that I wasn't expecting. It was a great start to the anthology.

The second story is by Alaya Dawn Johnson and it is called "Love Will Tear Us Apart". This story had a lot of flaws. It is about a zombie who is like a human being. The zombie is a virus that can be cured, but he was not completely cured. He eats humans after luring them into a forest and after he...has his way with them. He ends up falling in love with a human boy, and the boy's dad is hunting the zombie. It was too short to let the story unravel, it seemed like the ending was completely rushed.

The third story is by Naomi Novik and it is called "Purity Test". This story was boring, to say the most. It is about a unicorn who is looking for a virgin to help free baby unicorns that a wizard has taken to try and become immortal. Sounds like Voldemort eh? It did to me, and the girl in the story, also. The story at least made sense, but the end seemed unfinished. I liked it a bit better than the ones that had plot holes.

The last story that I haven't finished is called "Bougainvillea" by Carrie Ryan. I am not even half-way through it, because it is just...boring. People died. Zombies rose. People escaped to an Island. I can already see how the end will turn out, and I don't want to finish this story.

I love zombies, so I am probably biased, because I want to be team zombie. If it depends on how much I enjoy the stories, then I am 100% team unicorn. Although, the unicorn stories all seem to be the same. I don't know how I feel about this book. Or all of the stories as individuals.

So far, I give Zombies vs. Unicorns 3 books. I will add an update blog when I finish the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is your favorite of My Favorite Stand-Alones?