Contact Me!

Have a book I should read? Have a comment on a review? Have an idea? Contact me @ kdeestone20@gmail.com

Friday, March 21, 2014

Review for Panic by Laruen Oliver

I...Have...PANIC!!! Wow..ok. This book, I knew I had to have it the minute it came out. I needed it. The cover is catching, and stroke-able.

Synopsis-"Panic began as so many things do in Carp, a dead-end town of 12,000 people in the middle of nowhere: because it was summer, and there was nothing else to do.

Heather never thought she would compete in Panic, a legendary game played by graduating seniors, where the stakes are high and the payoff is even higher. She’d never thought of herself as fearless, the kind of person who would fight to stand out. But when she finds something, and someone, to fight for, she will discover that she is braver than she ever thought.

Dodge has never been afraid of Panic. His secret will fuel him, and get him all the way through the game, he’s sure of it. But what he doesn't know is that he’s not the only one with a secret. Everyone has something to play for.

For Heather and Dodge, the game will bring new alliances, unexpected revelations, and the possibility of first love for each of them—and the knowledge that sometimes the very things we fear are those we need the most."



 
WARNING!!! SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT


Panic is a game. Panic can only be played by seniors, and the winner gets the pot. The pot is created because everyone in the school has to donate 1 dollar every day that school is in session. When Heather plays, the pot is over $60,000.

Heather wasn't going to play. Her and Bishop, her closest friend, were going to cheer their friend Natalie on for the game. That is, until Heather gets dumped and makes the rash decision to jump off the ledge. The literal ledge.

Throughout the entire summer, there are games that the constants must complete. If you can't, your out. If you do it in the shortest time, your out. You can't panic. Panic is about getting over your fear.

Heather has a little sister who she needs to look after. Their mom is addicted to drugs, gambling, alcohol, and men. Heather has a lot to fight for in Panic, but so does Dodge.

Dodge is nobody. Dodge moves around so much, he doesn't knows where he is half the time. The only thing he does know is he lives on meth row, with his mom (who has a different boyfriend every day) and his sister. Dodges sister is paralyzed from the waist down, all because of Panic. Dodge wants to get revenge on the person who paralyzed his sister, and he joined because the sibling of the person is also in Panic.

Did I like the characters? Some of them. Bishop had secrets, and I liked him and Heather the most. I related to Heather, because she would do anything to help her sister, and I am the same with my brother. Dodge was a psycho! He just wouldn't stick with me, and I just wanted his story to end. Natalie was just as bad as Dodge. She used everyone to get what she wanted. I did not like either of them.

The story was well rounded. I enjoyed it, and found myself staying up all night just to devour this book. Once I started, I did not want to lose the story. It was real. It was something that could be going on. There was drama, there was deaths, there was Panic.

I feel like the ending could be different, could have been better. I like that it was a standalone, because I haven't read many of those. I loved this book, though a few things could be different.

The best part is the fact that the sleeve said its been chosen to become a movie!

Lauren Oliver is a great author. She wrote the Delirium series, which I absolutely adored! She also wrote Before I Fall, which was another standalone. I liked that one, but I loved this one even more.

I give Panic by Lauren Oliver 4 books


No comments:

Post a Comment

What is your favorite of My Favorite Stand-Alones?