Contact Me!

Have a book I should read? Have a comment on a review? Have an idea? Contact me @ kdeestone20@gmail.com

Friday, March 28, 2014

Review for the Fault in Our Stars by John Green

**Warning! Small Spoilers Ahead!!**

That moment when you look up from a book, and realize that the world is not experiencing the devastation that a book can cause. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green made me literally say that. I cried. I ugly cried. Then I thought, and now I am writing this review.

Synopsis: "Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.

Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning-author John Green’s most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love."





The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is a sad book. It centers around 16 year old Hazel Grace Lancaster, and she has cancer. She was diagnosed with thyroid cancer when she was 13 years old, had it removed, and then they found the tumors in her lungs. She can't breathe on her own, so she is constantly hooked up to something. She goes with the motion, until she meets Augustus "Gus" Waters.

Gus had cancer. He made it to remission, but not without losing his leg. He learns about the cancer support group through Isaac, who has eye cancer and is going to be blind. He meets Hazel Grace, and falls for her immediately.

The Fault in Our Stars is filled with loss and love. First love, and the loss of that first love. I loved every character in the book. I felt mad when they were mad. The book made me happy at first.

The first half of the book is great. It's funny, if you ignore the undertones about death. I literally laughed out loud to this book, to half the book. Hazel Grace likes a specific book, but her one life question is how does it end. The book drops off mid-sentence, and by meeting Gus, she may get her wish. Gus uses his one wish (from the make-a-wish foundation) and gets Hazel, Hazel's mom, and himself to Amsterdam to meet the author.

Along the way, Hazel and Gus fall in love. They get close, closer than they ever were with anyone else. Then the bombshell is dropped. Gus has cancer again. All over his body. He will die.

From that point on, I cried. Every flip of the pages made the crying worse. It was sad, and I knew what was coming. I couldn't stop reading though, it was a beautifully written piece of art between the pages and attached to a spine.

What did I like about the book?
  • The characters were relatable.
  • It was beautifully written about an ugly subject.
  • It punched me in the feels.
  • It wasn't fake or magical, it was real.
What did I dislike about the book?
  • The ending.
That's pretty much it...I absolutely adored the book until the end. I loved that it changed my views of sad books. I never really read them anymore, but I may pick up more. and I will be picking up more of Mr. John Green's books.

I give The Fault in Our Stars 5 books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is your favorite of My Favorite Stand-Alones?